Monday, March 2, 2009

Identity

I
Wear my heart on my sleeve
But you're telling me
To take it off
Tear if off
Rip it out
And I keep trying, trying so hard
But it's stuck, stapled to my arm
But you bleed
You fight
You try
To stay on top of the game
Stay cool
Be cool
But it's never one in the same
Because it keeps changing up, day to day
Almost about as often and fast as the time
That blows by you, the past
Every single of day your lifetime
And when you're there
It's never permanent
Because it's impossible
You can't keep up
You won't last

So
Give me the world with no logos
No tags
No groups no clicks no demographics
Just give me the masses
People who want to learn to love to live

I'm telling you
Take the kids out of factories
Let 'em know what fresh air is

I don't need you
Or anybody else telling me
What to wear
How to act
Or who to be
Please
You don't even know me
Not the first thing
That anyone with eyes can see
I'm me
Just me
No one else in the world exactly like me
But damn
We can get pretty close
But not exactly the same thing
We got our own names

We're different
And it doesn't take much
To know this,
But you persist
And insist
That you can dictate the trend
When people don't give in (so easily)

And I told you
Before any of this mess ever started
That you should just roll with it
This is no physics
The outcome can't be predicted

We're alive
We keep changing
The passing of time
Is
The only thing the same
Until we change even that
Oh, wouldn't that be the day?

We got faces
Let's see 'em
There's no need to hide
Our identity isn't our clothes or cash or cars
But who we know we are on the inside
And it's sad to see
That some people can't even tell
The difference between you and me
They group us up
And say "they're all the same"
But really,
Who's the one to blame

I'm tired of everyone's ignorance
There's things we'll never understand
But that doesn't mean we don't need to explain
If we just tell each other what we really need
Then there'd be no reason to feign innocence

And
That's the beauty of being human
We learn to live and grow
But it'll never happen if you don't try
Because some people just wait to die
And I hope you aren't one
There's a crowd to join and follow
But I'm more interested in tomorrow

Tell it to the market analysts
Treating us teens like sheep
Herding us together to sell us "hot"
And in a few days it'll be "not"
It's not like they care about you
Don't give me that look you know it's true
The money is all they want
But I'm getting out
Because I can't stand the noise

Give me the world with no logos no tags no fads no trends no fashion even
Because all I really care about is who I am as a person
I don't need you telling me who I am
Or what I want, or what I need
I'll be who I choose to be
Because you don't know the anything about me
I'll even give you a hint
I like to breathe

"Your soul is alive but they want it from ransom."

1 comment:

Jessica Shope said...

"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

I think this is just about the most you've ever posted at once. :) Sometimes things just come all at once, and it's hard to hold it in. Or was this a collection of a bunch of random spurts of thought?

Key/Legend

word = speaking/singing
(word) = whispering/echo
[word] = stern voice/screaming