Thursday, January 10, 2008

Man on the Street

I can't say I know him
I've seen him
Rags for clothes
Cardboard sign
"WILL WORK FOR B33R"
Dirt on his face
Underneath his fingernails
I can't say I'd trust him
But I'd listen to his story
Born to a well-to-do-family
Wealthy actually
Mother and father caring
Supportive
Again wealthy
Back when there was physical discipline in school
He didn't understand
A lot
He failed
A lot
But who would have known
Back then before modern science
That he read words backwards
That voices plagued his every thought
Nobody knew his pain
Nobody knew his fears
Nobody knew...
He'd hate to be called crazy
He wanted to meet expectations
But the voices got louder still
He resorted to drugs
Cocaine
Speed
Marijuana
Beer
Anything to silence the voices
Anything to feel numb
Finding comfort in waking up lost
Here he stands today
Begging for beer
To numb his pain
Exorcise the demon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i imagined that man perfectly, loved how you described everything

Commissioner said...

I liked that this poem is set up into a background and not a narrative. nice.

Michelle Hix said...

This world has no idea how to take care of the mentally ill...its sad.

Key/Legend

word = speaking/singing
(word) = whispering/echo
[word] = stern voice/screaming